Thursday, November 18, 2010

Torment by Lauren Kate

"Hell on earth. That's what it's like for Luce to be apart from her fallen angel boyfriend, Daniel. It took them an eternity to find one another, but now he has told her he must go away. Just long enough to hunt down the Outcasts - immortals who want to kill Luce. Daniel hides Luce at Shoreline, a school on the rocky California coast with unusually gifted students -Nephilim, the offspring of fallen angels and humans.

At Shoreline, Luce learns what the Shadows are, and how she can use them as windows to her previous lives. Yet the more Luce learns, the more she suspects that Daniel hasn't told her everything. He's hiding something - something dangerous. What if Daniel's version of the past isn't actually true? What if Luce is really meant to be with someone else? The second novel in the addictive FALLEN series . . . where love never dies."
 
Over the summer, I've read so many books (all amazing in their own special way), so I have a lot to catch up on in the review department. Torment by newcomer Lauren Kate -- who had her very first book nominated in the Teen Read Awards for the Best New Author category -- seems like a good place to start. 

*WARNING: MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS* 

If you haven't read the first book, Fallen, in this series, then I suggest you don't skim this review. This is the second book. Either it won't make sense, or this will spoil the entire thing -- proceed at your own risk. 

My rating? 3.5 stars out of 5. It was a well-paced plot with lots of twists and turns, but several times I had to slap myself to keep from slapping the book. I have to admit I was pleased with Luce's character development and her larger awareness of others around her. After all, she had just figured out the mysterious and aloof Daniel was a fallen angel -- her fallen angel, no less -- and dealt with it much better than many teens her age would've. 

Still, even though I was supremely proud of her for being her own person and making her own choices, so many of her decisions were poorly made. Luce was in love with Daniel; coming into the book, that was the only thing she was sure of. But as soon as she arrived at Shoreline, she doubted every move he made, every slip up he had ever exhibited in the past, and started to make herself believe that maybe they weren't right for each other. 

Which brings me to Miles. Oh, Miles. Is it wrong for me to say how much I hated him? Sure, he was sweet and kind and always there for Luce when she needed a shoulder -- or rebound -- but it was just absurd how fast she started to lean on him. Falling for Daniel so quick was natural; they'd been in love for centuries on end. Centuries that she seemed to peg as insignificant, even with all the love she felt for him in the present, given how quick she lost hope in their relationship.

Really, Luce! Have a little faith, will ya? No one expects him to be perfect.

In less than 18 days -- the time of the truce between Cam's side and Daniel's to protect Luce -- she was already developing feelings for Miles. Yes, it happens all the time. Yes, this is a fiction book. Don't hate on me; I'm just saying how much I don't like that there is always the one boy who has to 'be there' for the main girl character when times get rough, as though she can't depend on herself, do things for herself. 

It's ridiculous, really. 

And Cam, whom I adored from book 1 even with all his mischievousness and being the main antagonist of Fallen, was barely in here, only for a few times saving Luce and in the end battle, although he never got any appreciation. She always quickly dismissed him (which I hated), paid him no attention (which I hated even more), and for most of the book, she still had it rooted in her mind that Cam was the only one out to get her (which I hated most of all). 

But even with the lack of Cam and also Daniel (save for a few ill moments with Luce); even with characters I just didn't like such as Miles and Shelby, Torment was still a really good book. There were my fave characters from the first book that I loved seeing again (like Arriane, Roland, Gabbe and Molly), and new characters that I thought were awesome (like Jasmine, Dawn and, of course, Francesca and Steven). 

Overall, I enjoyed reading Torment and aside from my minor objections with the set-up, it was awesome! If you haven't read Fallen yet (or this super-fantastic sequel), I suggest you pick it up. You won't regret it. :)

Now I'm waiting for the next book, Passion, to come out!

-Kaylee

1 comment:

  1. I feel exactly the same way! I don't like Miles. I think he's too normal for her, even tho he saved the day in the end...
    But I disagree with you about Cam - Daniel is much better! XD
    Good review, Kaylee!

    ReplyDelete